The VLC media player is one of the easiest to use the media player. The VLC media player can play video or audio files for you be it from the local storage or stream them from online sources.
Now whenever you play a video on a VLC media player, you may have sometimes come through some video files where the video is 90 degree or even 180 degrees rotated. Well, you can always view the video by rotating your laptop or even your head. But I think it may not be recommended for longer duration videos.
VLC player is available on any device. In mobile, you may rarely encounter this rotating issue, even if you do you can always turn on or off your screen rotation option on your mobile devices. Whereas in Laptops and Computers this issue is common. Videos on VLC can be rotated, transposed, and flipped. They can be rotated even by arbitrary angles such as 1 degree, 27 degrees and so on and may be used for different purposes.
How to Flip or Rotate a video on VLC media player
Here in this blog, I will be sharing with you a simple trick and steps you can rotate and save a video in VLC media player.
- Open the VLC player and click on the Media / Browse option to open the video you want to rotate.
- Click on Tools and then “Effects and Filters” after the video is opened.
- Now, on the Adjustment and Effects window click on the Video Effects tab, and then click on the sub-tab named Geometry.
- In the Geometry tab, you can find options to Transform and Rotate.
- Transform option provides predefined rotations and transpose options. You can select this option to rotate your videos.
- Rotate option gives you an “angle” wheel which you can rotate and set the video rotation on the angle you like.
- Now click on Save to save the changes. This will be saved temporarily till the video is playing.
To Make the rotaion of videos permanent
The steps below will change the rotation of the video permanently.
- From the menu bar, go to Media and then click on Convert/ Save [Shortcut key: CTRL + R]
- Select Add, and browse and add the current video.
- Select the Convert/Save option.
- Now in the convert dialogue, click on the Settings/Tools icon.
- This will take you to the Profile Edition page. Here click on the Video codec and then the Filters tab.
- Activate the Video transformation filter / Rotate Video Filter option depending on how you want to rotate the video and click on Save.
- When you are done with the above settings go to the Destination file. Click on Browse to choose a path and enter a filename you want to save the rotated video as.
- Click Save when done.
- Now to start the conversion process, click “Start”. This will generate a new rotated file with the file name you have entered. The original file will still be the same though.
After the conversion don’t forget to reset VLC preferences to their default settings [Tools>Preference> Select Reset preference at the bottom left] Click Save. Then close and re-open the VLC media player
Follow the above steps and the videos will be rotated on the VLC media player. Do let us know in the comments below how you like this blog and if the method worked for you or not. If you have an alternate or better method to do this do share it with us below 🙂