You have taken some breathtaking, picture-perfect photos, from your Canon DSLR and want to show them to the world through Instagram or other social media. But to do that you will have to transfer them to a device that can share them with the world. The device can be a laptop, computer or smartphone. Laptops or computers may not be handy every time with you, but smartphones like iPhones can.
One way you can try to transfer your files from your Canon DSLR to your iPhone will be to first transfer your photos and videos to your computer first and then using AirPlay transfer them to your iPhone. Well, you may already aware of these steps and that’s a complicated process to follow every time.
To solve this we will show you some best ways you can transfer and connect your Canon DSLR directly with your iPhone.
Steps to connect canon DSLR with your iPhone
Below are some of the steps you can use to connect your Canon DSLR to your iPhone to transfer photos and videos.
Use wired Adapter
You may think in this digital world why do we need a wired adapter. Yes wireless is taking over and we will share ways to connect through that as well, wired adapters are small and tiny and take less place in your camera bag. You can choose the one adapters from the three categories that Apple offer, depending on the DSLR model you use. If those are expensive, you can go with third party products that sell an adapter.
The categories of wired adapters are:
- Lightning to USB camera adapter
- Lightning to USB3 Camera adapter
- Lightning to SD card camera reader.
Use Canon Camera Connect App
Apart from the traditional method you can use the camera connect app by canon to transfer file wirelessly. The app is compatible with a few range from Canon digital cameras. You can check if your camera is compatible or not here.
First step you have to perform is to enable Wifi function on your camera.
How to connect canon EOS DSLR to Iphone?
- Switch on your camera and select the menu button.
- Click on Settings and select Wi-Fi.
- Press “Enable”. If the camera asks you to register a nickname then do so at this point and skip the next step.
- Select Wi-Fi Function and set a nickname for the camera of your choice from the menu.
- Select the “Connect to Smartphone” icon under the Wi-Fi function from the menu
- Select “Camera access point mode” and then select “Easy connection”
- On your iPhone device, go into Settings, select Wi-Fi, then choose the network name shown on your camera.
- Once you see your device has connected to the camera’s network, open the Camera Connect app.
- You’ll see a confirmation message on the camera to confirm that it is connected to your device. Press OK if the camera asks you to verify the connecting device, and save the configuration in SET1. You’re now ready to use the app.
- Once this process has been completed once, you will not need to repeat the authentication in detail again. The next time you select the Wi-Fi function, you can use the same configuration settings that you stored in the initial set-up process, and connect to the camera from your smart device following the above steps.
How to connect Canon EOS M3, Canon PowerShot or IXUS to iPhone?
1. Switch on your camera.
2. On your camera, press the button with the mobile phone symbol on it. If your camera does not have this button, then press the Wi-Fi icon in playback.
3. After creating a nickname, select the mobile phone image that appears on the display. The camera will create a Wi-Fi network for your device to connect to.
4. On your device, go into Settings, select Wi-Fi, and then choose the network name shown on your camera.
5. Once you see your device has connected to the camera’s network, open the Camera Connect app.
6. You’ll see a confirmation message on the camera to confirm that it is connected to your device.
7. You’re now ready to use the app.
8. Once this process has been done once, you will not need to repeat it again. The next time you press the mobile button you can jump straight to Step 4. Alternatively, pressing the WiFi icon in playback will take you to a connection history menu. From here, select the network name shown on your camera.
Now, that you know how to connect your camera to your iPhone, let’s see how to actually transfer the photos and videos.
How to transfer photos and videos from camera to iPhone
1. Connect your device to your camera so that you have the Camera Connect app open.
2. In the app, tap on the ‘Images on camera’ function and all the images currently saved on the camera will appear in the app.
3. At the bottom of the app screen, tap the download icon and select the images that you want to save from your camera on to your device.
4. To save individual images, just tap on the image you want. When you see the single image expand to full screen, tap the download icon under the image.
5. To save multiple images, click on the arrow icon at the bottom of the screen and select the images you want to save.
Follow the above easy steps and your files will be transferred from your camera to your iPhone. If you liked this blog share it with others. Comment below if you have alternative steps to the ones above.